The best fuel cards have a massive network of gas stations and truck stops, offer discounts, and are ideal for different fleet sizes. Gas costs keep increasing, trucking businesses can use fuel cards to improve fuel efficiency and profit.
When selecting a fuel card, truckers should consider the location, limitations, additional fees, and features. To improve the efficiency of your fleets and business, take a look at this review for the best fuel cards for truckers.
Quicklook: Best Fuel Cards for Truckers
- Best for No Additional Fees: AtoB Fuel Card
- Best for Great Fuel Discounts: TAFS F2 Fuel Card
- Best for No Monthly Charges: ExxonMobile BusinessPro
- Best for Small or Midsize Companies: Wex Fleet FlexCard
- Best for Rewards: EFS Fleet One Edge Card
- Best for National Coverage: Shell Fleet Navigator Card
Best Fuel Cards for Truckers: The Options
In your search for the best fuel credit card, you’ll find that they all offer unique benefits. Your choices may be limited if you’re looking for fuel cards for truckers with bad credit, which can make it tricky to find the right solution.
With this in mind, here are some of the best options for truckers:
A to B Fuel Card
A to B fuel cards are widely accepted. You can track your truck driver’s live transactions and set spending limits within your A to B dashboard. After spending on fuel and paying your weekly statements, you will automatically unlock the A to B fuel card for more vehicle and business-related expenses. A to B is best for all types of trucking company management plans, and it helps small businesses to build a credit score.
Best For: No additional fees
Rewards: Yes. A to B offers competitive discounts on gallons of fuel at every gas station and truck stop.
- No out-of-network stations.
- Truckers can use the A to B fuel card for any truck and vehicle-related business expenses, excluding fuel costs.
- No additional fees
- You can impose spending limits
- No credit score or social security number is required
- Accessible through an app
- No cash back rewards
- Weekly billing
TAFS F2 Fuel Card
The TAFS F2 Fuel Card allows smaller fleets to enjoy the same diesel fuel discounts as larger fleets. With this card, you can buy fuel at a variety of truck stops. No factoring contract or authority is required to be able to use the card.
TAFS is one of the top fuel cards available, due to the incredible savings it can bring for fuel costs.
Best For: Owner-operators and small fleets
Link: Get your F2 Card today!
- Mobile-friendly fuel finder
- Excellent fraud prevention tools
- Allows fuel advances
- 24/7 access to online card management app
- Fleet-sized discounts
- More control over costs
- No more check writing
- Fleet managers can set limits and customize each driver’s account
- Extra fees for balance inquiries
- Account setup fee
- Fees for additional users
- Check and MoneyCode fees
Fuel cards may also be used as a solution to expense reimbursement, payroll, and per diems.
ExxonMobile Business Pro
An ExxonMobile Business Pro fleet card provides fleet owners greater visibility and control when it comes to fuel costs.
Best For: Fleets of up to 15 vehicles
Fees: $0 monthly fees
Rewards: 1 to 6 cents per gallon monthly, depending on volume
- No APR
- Accepted at more than 95% of U.S. fueling stations
- Real-time excessive spending alerts
- 24/7 customer support
- Earn points to redeem for fuel or convenience store purchases
- Set limits on card use by day, time, location, product, and more
- Real-time reports for managing vehicle-related expenses
- Exxon Synergy gasoline gives better gas mileage with lower emissions
- $2 per card per month for non-ExxonMobile purchases
- Points expire after one year
- No points or discounts for purchases other than gas
- Cards can’t be used for maintenance, tires, or repairs
With their Driver Dash app, paying at the pump is faster and more secure.
Wex Fleet Card
Similar to the ExxonMobile BusinessPro fleet card, the Wex FlexCard also works like a credit card. However, the Wex card does allow a monthly balance when needed.
Best For: Small or midsize companies
Rewards: 3 cents per gallon
- Accepted at 45,000 maintenance locations
- View real-time card activity
- Order various business reports
- 24/7 customer support
- Cards available for different fleet sizes
- Set spending controls by day, week, amount, and more
- Provides tax exemption reports
- Poor reviews on customer service
- Fees aren’t shared publicly
The Wex card is welcomed at 95% of U.S. gas stations.
EFS Fleet One EDGE Card
The EFS Fleet One EDGE card is not one of the most widely used fuel cards. But it does offer discounts, benefits, and rewards that make it a great value for fleet owners.
Best For: Fleets with up to 50 vehicles
Rewards: Up to 15 cents per gallon
- Offers several different cards
- Set pre-negotiated discounts
- Large nationwide network
- Accepted at over 12,000 truck stops
- 24/7 customer service
- Discounts at some hotels
- Can carry a monthly balance
- Offers the highest saving potential
- Card must be used at EDGE discount sites to get rewards
- Wex, Inc. is not BBB accredited
- Negative customer service reviews
The Fleet One Edge Card can be used at over 4,500 sites across America.
Shell Fleet Navigator Card
If you need a card that has expense management and spending controls, the Shell Fleet Navigator Card is a good choice.
Best For: Fleets of 40 or more vehicles
Rewards: 5 cents per gallon
- Accepted at 95% of gas stations nationwide
- Accepted at 13,000 Shell and JiffyLube locations
- Allows a monthly balance
- Provides itemized purchase reports
- Set spending limits based on driver location
- Rebates are higher at Shell and Jiffy Lube stations
- Web app locates Shell stations easily
- Rebates increase as purchases increase
- May carry limited fees
- Poor customer reviews on some Shell stations
- Unspecified fuel amounts that must be purchased
- Cards are limited to Shell and JiffyLube for maintenance
This company allows you to cancel a lost or stolen card in real-time to reduce risks.
What Is a Fuel Card?
Fuel cards or fleet cards allow trucking companies to reduce fuel and maintenance costs. Owner-operators and fleet owners can more easily monitor fuel spending. Most card providers offer discounts on fuel when it is purchased at specified locations.
How Do Fuel Cards Work?
Fuel cards make purchasing fuel quicker. Also, they offer perks and discounts that help truckers save money on their diesel purchases. Some fuel card companies carry benefits such as fraud coverage and loyalty bonuses.
6 Things Truckers Should Consider with Fuel Cards
Choosing the right fuel card for your company can be a tedious, confusing process. Here are some things to consider in your search for the best fuel cards for truckers:
Savings and Limitations
Fuel cards will save truckers plenty of money, but some can be restrictive. For instance, some cards only pay rewards if they are used at company-branded gas stations.
Many fuel cards are company branded, which means that their use is restricted to company-owned stations. If you’re located on the East Coast, make sure to choose a card provider that has sufficient terminals or stations in the area that will honor the card.
Most fuel cards for truckers are for diesel or mixed-use. But, some companies have unleaded-only fleets. Make sure you understand which type of card they offer. You can also choose a pump-price or fixed-price card.
Although the card has no monthly fee, there may be other fees involved. Some companies may charge fees for account setup, transactions, invoices, reports, late payments, underspending/overspending, or handling fees.
Fuel cards can be a great tool for keeping track of fuel expenditures for tax purposes. The card program will generally provide a printed or downloadable annual or quarterly report to use for tax reports and refunds. This report also simplifies quarterly IFTA filing.
Company vs. Personal Fuel Cards
Fuel cards are offered for companies rather than individuals because the rewards are based on monthly fuel use. The fuel card must be registered with a company. Most cards also have a minimum spend limit per month.
Enjoy Lower Costs and Improved Cash Flow
Fuel cards assist businesses in controlling fuel expenses and providing a comprehensive view of fleet fuel usage. Select one of the best fleet fuel cards to manage your truck drivers’ fuel usage, prevent unauthorized spending and protect the company against fraud. Fuel cards offer clients discounts, cash back, and other incentives.
The main benefit of fuel cards is that they present savings in the form of rewards. They also provide convenience and help companies to manage their fuel expenditures.
Each card may be different. The answer depends on the card’s annual percentage rate vs. the price per gallon and the rewards paid per gallon.
If the card is used to buy fuel for a business, it is not a taxable benefit. If a card is used for personal travel, the company is liable for the taxes charged.