Fleet fuel cards are a practical solution – and a necessary solution – for many truck drivers. After all, many owner-operators spend up to $70,000 annually on fuel alone. Businesses do the same but at a grander scale. So whether you’re a single truck small business operator or manage a large fleet, fuel cards can help you save money while tracking your expenses easily and efficiently.
Below you’ll find fuel card options that have benefits like no fees, discounts, incentives, and other perks that can help you operate your trucking business.
Quicklook: Best Fleet Fuel Card
- Best For No Fees: AtoB
- Best For National Networks: WEX Fleet Fuel Cards
- Best For Rewards: Fuelman Fleet Cards
- Best For Large Fleets: BP Fleet Fuel Cards
- Best For Flexible Payment: ExxonMobil Fleet Fuel Cards
- Best For Small Businesses: Shell Fleet Fuel Cards
Best Fleet Fuel Card Options
When selecting a fleet fuel card, look at pricing, volume discounts, and region of operation. A card with excellent incentives but limited coverage in your primary areas of operation won’t make sense. Here are some of the best fleet fuel cards out there and the features of each.
AtoB fuel cards are one of the most appealing options available for drivers. First and foremost, this card is accepted anywhere and has absolutely no fees. That means no monthly service fee, no per-card fee, no setup fee, and no other fees that other companies tack on. Their platform allows you to track your usage live, set spending limits, and other great features all within your dashboard. With their fuel card, you can stay on top of your expenses in real-time.
- No Fees
- Accepted everywhere
- No out-of-network stations
Rewards: Competitive discounts on every gallon of fuel
- No out-of-network stations
- Unlock other fleet expenses beyond fuel
- No fees
- Easy to use dashboard
- Transactions can be pushed to Quickbooks for easy accounting
- Full control over each card including spending limits per day, per week, and per transaction
- Helps small businesses build credit
- Net-7 terms
WEX Fleet Fuel Cards
WEX tops most lists of best national fleet fuel cards because of its extensive gas station coverage, as well as spending reports, and apps for drivers. It covers 95% of US gas stations. The app for drivers includes a station-finder and mobile payment options. Options include the WEX Fleet Card for small businesses, with options for large fleets, as well as WEX FlexCard and WEX Fleet crossroads card.
- National Networks
- Large Companies
Fees: No fees. However, fees for other services are not shared publicly.
Rewards: 3 cent-per-gallon rebate
- ClearView reports of fuel spending
- DriverDash mobile payments
- Over 160,000 stations and 45,000 service centers in WEX’s network
- Ease of payment
- Control of spending
- Great app for drivers
- Specialized cards for different sized fleets
- Not the best rebate option available for savings.
- Unknown fees for certain cards.
Fuelman Fleet Cards
This is the best option for rewards cards. You choose how much you pay for cards with various packages. Fuelman also offered a program to offset carbon emissions. Their Saver programs are some of the most generous fuel rebates in the market.
- Fuel Rebates
- Midwest or Western USA
Fees: $4 to $12 per card
Rewards: Rewards range from up to $0.10 per gallon for the Simple Saver card at select locations, to $0.06 per gallon with the Fuelman Mastercard at any service station.
- Flexible packages with the deepest rebates available
- 50,000 fuel stations and 20,000 maintenance locations
- Option for a mastercard that works anywhere that accepts mastercard
- Up to $0.10 per gallon in rebates
- Option to use it at any gas station
- Environmentally-friendly and carbon neutral options
- Coverage gaps in parts of Minnesotra, Massachusetts, New Mexico, and Montana
- Higher monthly fees than most other cards
- Mobile app does not always have accurate gas station locations
BP Fleet Fuel Cards
The BP fleet fuel card is best for large fleets. There are no monthly fees as long as you buy at least 5,000 gallons of fuel per month – an easy target for a large fleet. In addition, for the first three months, you can earn rebates of $0.15 per gallon of fuel. The BP Business Solutions MasterCard can be used at any station that accepts a MasterCard.
- Large Fleets
- National Operations
- No card fees if you buy 5,000 gallons of fuel per month, otherwise $10/month
- $2 fee to buy fuel from any station that is not Amoco or BP
- $0.15 per gallon of fuel for the first 3 months
- After that, up to $0.06 per gallon at Amoco or BP stations.
- Flexible payments schedule
- Excellent coverage eastern USA
- Option for a mastercard that covers maintenance service and fuel
- No fees for large fleets who use at least 5,000 gallons of fuel a month
- Excellent station coverage in the eastern USA
- Large rebates in the first 3 months of card use
- High fees for smaller fleets
- No BP or Amoco station coverage throughout 14 states in the Midwest and Western USA
- $2 fees to fuel at stations that aren’t BP or Amoco
- No app with a locator for drivers
ExxonMobil Fleet Fuel Cards
ExxonMobil’s customizable fleet fuel card lets you adapt to your fleet. Choose between cards that require your drivers to use the majority of US gas stations, or Exxon and Mobil stations. This card is issued by WEX, so all of WEX’s features are available to drivers including the DriverDash and WEX Connect apps.
- East Coast and Midwest
- Flexible Payment Options
- No monthly fees if you use the card at Exxon or Mobil stations.
- $40 setup fee
- $2 per month per card
Rewards: $0.06 at Exxon and Mobil stations
- Customizability based on needs and fleet size
- Uses WEX app and network
- Flexible payment options
- No monthly fees or membership if using Exxon and Mobil stations
- Larger rebates with Exxon Mobil Rewards+
- Small fleet customizability
- Scalability issues when growing fleets
- Additional fees to carry a balance
- Lacks extensive coverage on the West Coast
- Only one card option
Shell Fleet Fuel Cards
The Shell fleet fuel card has good coverage with over 14,000 stations across most states. This is an excellent choice for small businesses with their specialized Shell Small Business Card. There are no monthly card fees, and in addition to rebates, there are Jiffy Lube discounts.
- Small Businesses
- East and West Coasts Drivers
Fees: No fees
Rewards: $0.06 per gallon at Shell stations, plus Jiffy Lube discounts
- 14,000+ Shell locations across the USA
- No monthly fees
- Specialized in supporting small fleets
- Monitoring features, and online account management
- Itemized purchases on card statements
- No coverage in Montana
- Coverage gaps in the Midwest, Southwest, and Mountain states.
How Does a Fleet Fuel Card Work?
Fleet fuel cards are used as a credit card to purchase fuel or cover maintenance costs for your fleet of vehicles. Many fuel cards are linked to a particular network of gas stations, such as BP or Exxon, limiting the reach of the cards. Fleet fuel cards also often provide additional features like apps to locate stations, expense tracking, and flexible payment options.
What to Consider With Fleet Fuel Cards
When selecting a fleet fuel card for your company, consider the size of your fleet, the region of operation, the fuel volume, and of course the service, security, and control offered by the fleet fuel cards.
High Level Security
To prevent unnecessary business expenses or unauthorized transactions, fleet fuel cards offer the best security. Fleet fuel cards are safer than cash and have more limited use than credit cards, preventing unauthorized transactions. Some cards offer additional security features including chips, passwords, or pins to secure business resources.
Great Customer Service
Great customer service is essential to address problems and understand issues. You don’t want to run into problems, but if you do, you want to know that the company behind your fleet fuel card will support you every step of the way. Look for companies who offer help 24/7, especially when drivers could be driving at odd hours.
Detailed Fuel Data
Detailed fuel data enables better control, budgeting, and allocation of resources. To have the best fleet fuel card, data on location, type of expenses, and amount of fuel are essential.
Level of Controls
Controls around amount, time of day, product, and more. You can set spending limits by employee or card. Some cards offer driver pin authorization to prevent misuse.
Mobile access allows you to see real-time data on expenses, access detailed fuel data and adjust controls from a mobile device. The best fleet fuel cards include simple to use mobile apps.
Excellent Account Tracking
Simple administrative tasks including account tracking, financial reports and controls should be covered. From managing expenses to controlling charges on individual cards, the best fleet fuel cards include excellent account tracking.
Benefits of a Fleet Fuel Card
A fleet fuel card helps the management of your vehicle fleet to control expenses while giving your drivers flexibility for fueling and maintenance. Benefits include:
- Convenience for drivers
- Safer alternative than cash or a general credit card
- Control and monitoring of business expenses
- Streamlined expense reporting
- Flexible fueling and subscription options
Save Money and Build Business Credit with the Best Fleet Fuel Card
Fuel cards have many benefits for owner-operators and fleet managers. It doesn’t matter what you’re your business is, a fuel card can be a great benefit. After all, they can help you control and monitor your fuel spending, help your business build credit, and have perks that can help you save money. Plus, a fleet fuel card is a safer alternative instead of having your drivers carry cash. Since fuel is one of your greatest daily expenses, the right fuel card can help you improve your bottom line.
The best fuel card for truckers depends on company size, region, and route. Some of the best options to consider include the WEX Fleet Cross Roads card, BP fleet fuel card, and Fuelman Deep Saver Card.
Yes, there are options of prepaid fuel cards that function like debit cards. These include the Shell Refillable Card, Brinks Business Expense, and Bento for Business.
No, you cannot get a fuel card for personal use. A registered company needs to apply for the fleet fuel card.