In the ever-changing landscape of the trucking and transportation industry, finding the best diesel fuel cards for truckers in 2023 is crucial for optimizing your expenses. From owner operators to large commercial fleets, a high-quality diesel fuel card can offer valuable fuel discounts and robust reporting tools.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the top options available this year, helping you make an informed choice tailored to your needs.
Quicklook: Top 5 diesel fuel card options
- Best for diesel rebates: Fuelman Diesel Fleet Card
- Best for IFTA reporting: Motive Fuel Card
- Best for widespread acceptance: Fleet One EDGE Card
- Best for small and medium-sized companies: TCS Fuel Card
- Best for new businesses: Comdata Fuel Card
Best diesel trucking fuel cards
Fuelman Diesel Fleet Card
Fuelman offers three levels of diesel cards to meet the needs of various sizes of companies and organizations. The company offers some of the most generous fuel rebates available, especially if you’re purchasing diesel. Plus, you’ll benefit from certain discounts if you use the card at convenience stores. It’s widely accepted at more than 50,000 gas stations all throughout the nation. You’ll reap the greatest benefits if you purchase anywhere from 1,000 to 5,000 gallons of fuel per month.
Best for: Diesel rebates
- Discounts at convenience stores, like Pilot or Speedway
- Special rates and rebates for nonprofits and government fleets
- Option to set spending limits
- Able to activate access restrictions to cards for certain employees
- Option to require drivers’ identification numbers before they can use the card
- Alerts for unapproved activity
- Strong purchasing controls
- Reports that make budgeting and accounting simple
- Largest network of fuel stations that participate in rewards
- Low credit score requirements
- Accepted at 50,000 gas stations
- Rebates of up to eight cents per gallon for diesel and five cents for leaded fuel
Price: From $39 to $99 per month
Motive Fuel Card
The Motive Fuel Card is much more than a gas card; it’s an integrated fleet spending management platform. From one account and dashboard, you can track your fleet’s spending on gas, maintenance and lodging. You can see where they are and what they’re spending. In addition to tracking expenses, Motive provides fuel discounts and special features like IFTA tracking. Perks like these make it one of the top fuel cards for truckers.
Best for: IFTA reports
- IFTA reports
- Spend reports
- Maintenance discounts
- Spend controls
- Detailed reports
- Streamlined IFTA reporting
- Integrated platform
- No set discount rate
- Smaller network compared to competitors
Pricing: One-time activation fee of $25 per card
Fleet One EDGE Card
The Fleet One EDGE Card is often considered among the best commercial truck fuel cards for several key reasons. For one, its universal acceptance at various fueling stations gives users a broad range of options, making it convenient for diverse routes. The card also offers competitive diesel-specific discounts, helping to lower overall trucking fuel costs. Additionally, users benefit from comprehensive expense tracking and reporting tools, aiding in better fleet management.
Best for: Widespread acceptance
- Robust reporting and tracking tools
- Widely accepted at various trucking fuel stations, enhancing convenience
- Discounts on major tire brands
- Savings on wireless plans, repairs, hotels, and more
- Fuel discounts at over 4,500 sites
- No fuel transaction fees at 4,000+ in-network sites
- Accepted at 12,000+ truck stops nationwide
- Average savings of 10% on tires
Disadvantages: Does not offer purchase controls, so drivers can use the card to buy anything they want
Pricing: $2 monthly fee per card
TCS Fuel Card
The TCS Fuel Card offers several compelling benefits to users seeking the best fuel cards for truckers. First, it offers significant diesel fuel discounts, which is particularly beneficial for owner operators and small fleets looking to optimize fuel costs. Furthermore, cardholders can access cash advances at truck stops, a unique feature not commonly found in other cards. The card was designed with the needs of smaller operations in mind, offering a tailored solution for small to medium-sized trucking companies.
Best for: Small and medium-sized companies
- Mobile app shows nearby discount fuel stations
- Allows for cash advances at some truck stops
- Roadside assistance
- Significant savings for cardholders
- Real-time expense tracking
- Zero transaction fees in-network
Disadvantages: Doesn’t offer a rewards program, so no points or miles are earned on diesel purchases
Pricing: $0 activation, membership, monthly, or annual fees
Comdata Fuel Cards
Comdata Fuel Cards offer discounts and rebates on fuel purchases at thousands of gas stations across the U.S. But their truck fueling cards also offer access to a network of maintenance and repair service providers. Pricing options on these fuel cards can vary depending on the size of your fleet. With customized solutions for small fleets, their offering is among the best for new businesses.
Best for: New businesses
- Truck fuel card is accepted at more than 8,000 locations nationwide
- Savings up to 65% on tires and retreads at over 3,000 locations
- 24/7 driver support
- Online account management and fast track gas station membership
- Cash price plus additional $0.25 off per gallon at TA Petro
- $0.10 off per gallon at Pilot Flying J
- Up to $0.08 off per gallon at Love’s, AMBEST, Speedway and 7-Eleven locations.
- Subject to a $8/card per month fee after a one-time $50 account setup fee
- Additional fees may apply for optional services, late payments, and/or credit risks
- No transaction fee at in-network locations
- $3 transaction fee at out-of-network locations
What is a diesel fuel card?
A diesel fuel card is a specialized payment card that enables the cardholder to purchase diesel fuel and sometimes other vehicle-related expenses. Unlike regular credit cards, diesel fuel cards are tailored for the needs of commercial truck drivers, including owner operators and small trucking companies. These cards often come with benefits such as fuel discounts, detailed reporting features, and expense controls to manage trucking fuel costs more effectively.
Diesel cards help streamline the administrative aspects of fueling a fleet of trucks. They typically allow truckers to fuel up at various stations, providing flexibility and ease of use. Understanding how fuel cards work and what they are can help businesses make an informed choice between various options.
Who uses diesel fuel cards?
A wide range of users benefit from diesel fuel cards. They’re commonly used by truckers, particularly owner operators and commercial truck fleets, to manage fuel expenses. Commercial fleets often use them to streamline costs and reporting. Heavy construction/machinery operators find these cards helpful for fueling large, diesel-powered equipment.
Waste management companies use them to fuel their collection vehicles, making it easier to manage expenses. Reefer truck trailer owners also rely on these cards to purchase both fuel for the truck and power for the refrigeration unit. Even RV owners, who travel long distances, can use diesel fuel cards to manage their fuel costs more effectively.
So, the best fuel card for trucking companies serves a broad audience that needs to manage diesel fuel purchases efficiently.
What are the advantages of a diesel fuel card over a traditional fuel card?
A diesel fuel card offers specialized advantages tailored for diesel fuel purchases, making it ideal for industries that rely heavily on diesel. Compared to a traditional fuel card, diesel cards often have partnerships with diesel-specific fuel stations, providing better fuel discount card rates on diesel fuel.
Because they’re designed with truckers and commercial fleets in mind, diesel fleet cards often come with added features like advanced reporting tools for tracking trucking fuel expenses in detail. These reports can segregate diesel fuel costs from other expenses, making accounting easier.
In some cases, diesel fuel cards for trucks also offer additional perks, like reward points or more extensive coverage of diesel fueling stations. So, while traditional truck fueling cards offer general benefits, a diesel fuel card for truckers provides targeted advantages that can be more valuable to specific users.
Benefit from a diesel fuel card
In this guide, we’ve delved into the features, benefits, and drawbacks of some of the best fuel card for truckers options for 2023. The best trucking fuel card can offer substantial savings and streamlined expense management for your business.
Your next steps should involve carefully comparing these options based on your specific needs, followed by initiating the application process for the top fuel cards that best meets your requirements. Armed with the right diesel fleet fuel cards for truckers, you’re well-positioned to make 2023 a more profitable and efficient year on the road.
A fuel card is a specialized payment card used for purchasing fuel and sometimes other vehicle-related expenses at gas stations. It offers benefits like expense tracking, detailed reporting, and often comes with fuel discount card rates or rewards.
Gas cards can sometimes be used for diesel, but they are generally tailored for gasoline purchases and may not offer the same diesel-specific benefits or discounts. It’s better to use a diesel fuel card for trucking to maximize advantages.
Gas cards work by allowing cardholders to purchase gasoline at specific or multiple fuel stations, often providing rewards or discounts on fuel purchases. They usually come with features like expense tracking and reporting, making it easier for individuals or businesses to manage their fuel costs.
Sign up for a FreightWaves e-newsletter to stay informed of all news and trends impacting supply chain careers and operations.