Fuel cards have become an essential part of mid-sized fleet vehicle management, providing a convenient way to track expenses, streamline billing, and save on fuel costs.
With the vast number of options available, it’s essential to select the right one that meets your fleet’s unique requirements. In this article, we’ll explore the best fuel cards for mid-sized fleet vehicles, and take a closer look at their benefits, discounts and features.
Quicklook: Best fuel cards for fleets of mid-sized vehicles
- Best for efficiency: Fuelman Fleet Cards
- Best for cutting fuel costs & eliminating fraud: AtoB Fuel Cards
- Best for comprehensive benefits: eCapital
- Best for national networks: WEX Fleet Fuel Cards
- Best for easy account maintenance: BP Fleet Fuel Cards
Fuelman Fleet Cards
The Fuelman Fleet Card allows you to choose what you pay for different packages, which offer some of the most generous fuel rebates in the industry. You can use the Maintenance Manager feature to monitor and approve maintenance payments from your Fuelman account.
Best for: Efficiency
- 50,000 U.S. fuel stations
- 20,000 service locations
Fees: $39-$99 per account
Rewards: $.08 up to $.12, depending on the program
- Package flexibility
- Credit option available
- Rebates of up to $0.12 per gallon
- Carbon-neutral, environmentally friendly options
- Accepted across a wide network of fuel stations nationwide
- Coverage gaps in some states outside of the Midwest
- Higher-than-average monthly fees
- Accuracy issues with mobile app
AtoB Fuel Cards
AtoB Fuel Cards are extremely popular because of the savings they provide through security, station selection tools, and other software. Customers save on average $0.43 per gallon between their discounts, security savings, and savings from their Optimal Station Selection tool. This card is also accepted anywhere, and the dashboard allows you to set spending limits, track live usage and generate reports to manage your expenses.
Best for: Cutting fuel costs and eliminating fraud
- Anywhere that accepts Visa
- 99% of merchants
Fees: $3/month per active card
Rewards: Two cents off per gallon everywhere for the first three months, and then discounts of up to 25¢ off per gallon
- No out-of-network stations
- Get discounts on repairs at Pep Boys, tires at Discount Tire and more through AtoB Perk
- Spend on more than just fuel — oil changes, tolls, lodging and more
- Net seven-day payment terms
- Telematics integration to validate every purchase in real time
- Secure Card Unlock through the AtoB Driver App to ensure cards are only used by authorized drivers
- Optimal Station Selection to enforce drivers to fuel at the most affordable stations
- Allows small businesses to build credit
Disadvantages: Must pay balance within seven days
eCapital offers comprehensive solutions to help truckers run their business, from load boards to freight factoring services. It also offers a fuel discount program through its fuel cards. eCapital’s fuel card is accepted at over 16,000 truck stops across North America with up to $0.20 off per gallon.
Best for: Comprehensive benefits
Regular APR: Not available
Fees: No annual fees
Rewards: Up to $0.20 off per gallon
- High cash back on gas
- $100 per day cash advance option
- Able to calculate fuel tax
- Manage spending and fuel with Fuel Management Platform
- Save on gas
- Security controls
- Only available for eCapital factoring customers
- Does not list fees or APR range
WEX Fleet Fuel Cards
Known for its expansive national coverage, WEX offers one of the best fleet fuel cards accepted at 95% of fuel stations in the U.S. Automatic accounting features, like fuel expense tracking and purchase alerts, optimize efficiency. With custom reports and multiple forms of account access, streamlining your operations is always a breeze with WEX. The company offers several different fleet card solutions, making it easy to get one that suits your business needs.
Best for: National networks
- No initial fees
- Fees for other services not shared publicly
Rewards: Rebate of three cents per gallon
- ClearView reports of fuel spending
- DriverDash mobile payments
- Over 160,000 stations
- More than 45,000 service centers
- Ease of payment
- Control of spending
- Great app for drivers
- Specialized cards for different fleet sizes
- Not the best rebate option available for savings
- Unknown fees for certain cards
BP Business Solutions Universal Fuel Mastercard
Ideal for mid-sized fleet trucks, the BP fleet fuel card offers a lengthy list of appealing features. The $10 monthly card fee is waived when purchasing a minimum of 5,000 gallons each month. They boast trusted security features and offer a user-friendly dashboard that allows for easy account maintenance. Customize your reports for your business and stay on track with what you need.
Best for: Easy account maintenance
- $10 per month per card
- Fees waived after you buy 5,000 gallons of fuel per month
- $2 transaction fee when buying fuel from any station that is not Amoco or BP
Rewards: You can see rebates of up to seven cents per gallon, but the actual rebate amounts will vary depending on how much gas you purchase.
- Flexible payment schedule
- Excellent coverage in the eastern U.S.
- Option for a Mastercard that covers maintenance service and fuel
- No fees for fleets that use 5,000 gallons of fuel or more per month
- Sizable rebates in the first three months of card use
- High fees for smaller fleets
- No BP or Amoco coverage in 14 states across the Midwest and Western U.S.
- $2 fees when buying fuel from stations that aren’t BP or Amoco
- No app with location tracking for drivers
Steps for choosing the best fuel card
Choosing the best fuel card for your commercial vehicle fleet requires careful consideration of various factors. Here are some steps to help you make you fleet fuel card selection:
- Begin by ensuring that the fuel card’s network aligns with your fleet’s operational area. Choose a card with a wide network of fueling locations to ensure drivers can refuel without going out of their way.
- Compare the fuel discount offers from various providers to maximize your fleet’s savings. Look for cards that offer volume-based discounts or rebates.
- Carefully review the fees associated with each fuel card, including setup, monthly, transaction and card replacement fees.
- Opt for a card that empowers fleet managers to set spending limits, purchase restrictions, and authorized users. These controls can help you manage expenses and reduce fraud.
- Advanced reporting and data analytics capabilities are critical for optimizing fleet performance and managing expenses. Choose fleet management fuel cards that offer real-time transaction data, detailed reports and analytics.
- If you use fleet management software, consider fuel cards that can seamlessly integrate with your existing system. This integration can help streamline expense tracking, reporting, and overall fleet management.
- Ensure that the fuel card provider offers reliable customer support to address any issues or concerns that may arise. Look for providers with 24/7 support, online account management, and dedicated account managers.
- Choose a card that offers flexible payment terms, such as weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly billing cycles, to match your business’s cash flow needs.
- Lastly, research other fleet managers’ experiences with the fuel cards you’re considering. Read reviews and testimonials to gain insights into performance, reliability and customer service.
By following these steps and carefully comparing available options, you can select the top fuel card for your fleet operations.
Find the best mid-sized fleet fuel card for your trucking company
The fuel cards discussed in this article offer a range of benefits and features designed to meet the unique needs of mid-sized vehicle fleets. By analyzing your fleet’s specific requirements and comparing available options, you can select the fuel card that best aligns with your business’s goals and objectives.
A fleet card is often considered a type of gas card, but it offers additional features and broader functionality compared to a standard gas card.
Most cards let you save $0.05-0.10 per gallon of gas. Those savings can quickly add up. Maintenance savings also play a role and vary for each fuel card issuer.
Commercial fleet fuel cards work as specialized payment cards designed to help businesses manage and track their fuel and other vehicle-related expenses more efficiently. They provide a convenient and secure way for drivers to purchase fuel, maintenance, and other services without needing cash or a general-purpose credit card.
Sign up for a FreightWaves e-newsletter to stay informed of all news and trends impacting supply chain careers and operations.