There are many options of fleet fuel cards with discounts available for truckers. Which ones are the best? Which fleet fuel cards can be used at the most locations?
Are there hidden fees? Do the costs of a fleet fuel card justify the savings? Continue reading to find out which fleet fuel cards with discounts are the best for you to use as a business owner or as an owner-operator.
Quicklook: Best Fleet Fuel Cards With Discounts
- Best For Rewards: Fuelman Fleet Cards
- Best For Large Fleets: BP Fleet Fuel Cards
- Best For National Networks: WEX Fleet Fuel Cards
- Best For No Fees: AtoB Fuel Cards
- Best For Small Businesses: 76 Universal Fuel Cards
5 Best Fleet Fuel Cards With Discounts
Based on the criteria of rewards, fleet size, fees, and availability, we have listed the 5 best fleet fuel cards with discounts available for trucking companies and owner-operators.
Fuelman Fleet Cards
The Fuelman Fleet Card allows you to choose what you pay for different packages, which offer some of the most generous fuel rebates in the industry.
Best For: Rewards
- 50,000 U.S. fuel stations
- 20,000 service locations
Fees: $4 to $12 per card
Rewards: 6 to 10 cents per gallon depending on the program
- Package flexibility
- Deepest rebates in the industry
- Credit option available
- Rebates of up to 10 cents per gallon
- Carbon-neutral, environmentally-friendly options
- Available to use at any gas station
- Coverage gaps in some states outside of the midwest
- Higher than average monthly fees
- Accuracy issues with mobile app
BP Fleet Fuel Cards
BP Fleet Fuel Cards charge no monthly fees, provided your business meets a monthly minimum of 5000 gallons of fuel purchased. BP also offers a fifteen cent per gallon rebate during the first three months of using the card. In addition, they offer a Business Solutions MasterCard that is widely accepted across fuel stations.
Best For: Large Fleets
Station Coverage: This card is accepted at 7,200 BP stations, 451 Amoco stations and anywhere MasterCard is accepted nationwide.
- No fees if 5,000 gallon minimum is met
- $2 for fueling at stations outside of BP and Amoco
Rewards: A rebate of 15 cents per gallon is awarded the first three months. From there, you can earn up to a six-cents-per-gallon rebate.
- MasterCard option for fuel and maintenance coverage
- Card prompts to help prevent misuse
- Create and organize reports
- Security and fraud controls
- Excellent coverage in the eastern United States
- Over double fuel rebates during the first three months
- No fees for fleets using 5,000+ gallons of fuel per month
- Higher fees for smaller fleets
- 14 U.S. states do not have BP or Amoco stations
- $2 fee is charged for using non-BP and non-Amoco stations
- No driver location app available
WEX Fleet Fuel Cards
WEX Fleet Fuel Cards have a 95% coverage rate which makes it a popular card. WEX offers spending reports and an app that includes a station locator and options for mobile payments. WEX offers card options for large fleets as well as small businesses.
Best For: National Networks
- 95% of U.S. fuel stations
- 45,000+ service locations
Fees: No fees
Rewards: Rebate for three cent per gallon
- Mobile payments through DriverDash
- Fuel spending reports generated by ClearView
- Employee spending controls
- Automatic fuel expense tracking
- 160,000+ fuel stations
- 45,000+ service stations
- Helpful driver app
- Specialized cards for various fleet sizes
- Ease of payment
- Unlisted fees for some services
- Low rebates
- User complaints of being wrongfully charged late fees
AtoB Fuel Cards
AtoB fuel cards are extremely popular due to their lack of fees for set-up, maintenance, or any other reason. This card is also accepted anywhere and their dashboard allows you to set spending limits, track live usage, and generate reports to manage your expenses.
Best For: No Fees
- Anywhere that accepts Visa
- 99% of merchants
Fees: No fees
Rewards: Competitive discounts of up to ten cents per gallon
- No out-of-network stations
- Spend on fuel to unlock your card for repairs, parts, insurance, tolls, etc.
- Net 7 day payment terms
- No fees
- User-friendly dashboard
- Quickbooks accounting
- Allows small businesses to build credit
- Must pay balance within 7 days
76 Universal Fuel Cards
76 Universal Fuel Cards are widely accepted and offer many benefits from ease of technical use to rewards and benefits. Additional fuel card options are also available.
Best For: Small Businesses
- Accepted at the following:
- 95% of U.S. fuel stations
- 6,800+ 76, Conoco, and Phillips stations
- Over 45,000 service stations
- No set-up fees
- No annual fees
- No card fees
Rewards: Save up to seven cents per gallon at 6,800+ Conoco, 76, and Phillips stations.
- Look up driver IDs
- Make payments
- Spot potential misuse
- Automatic fuel account and expense tracking
- Save up to seven cents per gallon
- Accepted at any major gas station
- More security and control than cash or credit cards
- 24/7 U.S.-based customer service
- Limited online resources
- Managed by WEX
- Rebates only available from a small network of stations
How Do Fleet Fuel Card Discounts Work?
Fleet fuel cards allow trucking businesses to purchase their fuel and maintenance utilizing a network of merchants and fuel stations. A cost-plus discount model creates discounts that can vary dependent upon the season and strength of the fuel market.
How To Choose a Fleet Fuel Card With Discounts
Choosing a fleet fuel card with discounts can be daunting, as there are many options. You will want to focus on which features are most important to you and your business when deciding on which fleet fuel card to choose.
Doing a bit of research and asking good questions can help you choose the best fleet fuel card. Calculate the savings offered and ask questions. For instance, how many cents can you earn in rebates for each gallon of fuel your drivers buy with the card?
How else can the fuel card program help you save more money? By understanding the total benefit of each card, you can choose the best fleet fuel card for your business.
Coverage of the fuel cards should be carefully considered. You’ll want to know how many gas stations accept this card and where they are located.
Coverage is important because if you are forced to stop at fuel stations or maintenance shops that are not covered by your card, you will pay a premium cost and miss out on the discount opportunities offered by your fleet card.
Benefits and Rewards
Additional benefits are important and a fuel card can benefit your business by realizing perks beyond rebates and discounts on fuel. Tracking fuel expenses, added security to prevent misuse, controls on spending, report generation, and the ability to access information from a mobile phone are many of the additional features that can add value to your business.
The ability to choose packages and how you pay for fuel can be a beneficial feature because you can choose a package that fits your specific business needs. If you are a large fleet, coverage and top tier volume discounts may be most important to you. However, if you are a small fleet then maximum savings and low fees may be more important to you.
More Consistent Fuel Pricing
Fuel cards offer savings at the pump, which allows you to get better-discounted rates on fuel and additional discounts that can help you save even more on fuel. By getting the best discounts you can keep your fuel costs consistent and less susceptible to the fluctuation of the fuel market.
Choose the Best Fuel Fleet Card For Your Business Needs!
Now that you understand all of the variables to consider when choosing a fleet fuel card, you can choose the best card and package for your specific business needs. Learn more about how to benefit your freight company and stay on top of the latest industry news and trends.
The TCS Fuel Card for Trucking has the best discounts with an average savings of 35 cents per gallon, plus discounts at tire shops and service stations.
Fuel cards can save a significant amount of money as a savings of up to 35 to 45 cents per gallon add up across a trucking fleet.
The TCS Fuel Card for Trucking is the best fuel card for an owner operator because it offers the best discounts and it has more than 1,100 in-network locations available.