Want to save time, grow your business and increase employee retention with one piece of software? Truck dispatching services and software check all of those boxes and many others. This investment makes it easier to manage your trucking business. But with many truck dispatching software choices, which one makes the most sense for your business? It’s time to explore some of the top truck dispatch software options to discover which one makes the most sense for you.
Quicklook: best truck dispatch software
- Best for small to mid-sized carriers: Truckbase
- Best for third-party logistics (3PL) companies: Trimble Inc.
- Best for small to mid-sized brokers: ITS Dispatch by Truckstop.com
- Best for full fleet management and FedEx contractors: TruckSpy
- Best for new or small trucking companies: TruckingOffice
- Best for haulers and brokers: Axon Software
- Best for freight brokers and full truckload/less than truckload (FTL/LTL) carriers: ProTransport
- Best for retail or food industry last-mile delivery: Onfleet
- Best for logistic services: Samsara Inc.
9 best truck-dispatch software systems
Truck-dispatching companies and businesses need the best software. These nine leading truck-dispatch software systems offer a great starting point. Make your selection based on your company’s specific niche and needs.
Truckbase lets small trucking companies grow their fleets without increasing complexity. The software is affordably priced for smaller trucking companies looking for a simple, easy TMS to automate their back-office. Manage dispatching without any excess data entry. Automate load building & dispatch with a PDF importer, send to drivers via text, and let drivers upload BOLs directly with integrated mobile scanning. Use instant invoicing and financial reporting tools to improve cash flow. Build trust with drivers with simple driver settlements without extra hassle or data entry.
- Small to mid-sized carriers
- Automate load building & dispatch with an AI-powered PDF importer
- Send your drivers dispatch details via text or email instantly
- Provide drivers clear route info in a mobile-friendly app, without 7 phone calls and 20 WhatsApp messages
- Let drivers scan and upload BOLs directly with integrated mobile scanning
- Improve your cash flow with instant invoicing
- Get easy settlement generation according to load and driver without inputting any data
- Add stop pay, reimbursements, and other pay with just a few clicks
- Grow your business with more drivers without increasing back-office overhead
- Do dispatch with zero excess data entry
- Automate your back office with instant invoicing. Never miss a payment.
- Make settlements more transparent. Build trust with company drivers and owner operators
- No free version, but you have a 30-day money back guarantee
- Limited customizations for workflows
- Truckbase is building out a suite of integrations with other trucking softwares, but current integrations are more limited than more enterprise tools
- Meant for small/medium trucking companies; larger companies may need more advanced software
Pricing: Starts at $145 per month. Schedule a demo to learn more.
Trimble offers services that can meet the needs of a wide variety of trucking companies, but the software stands out for 3PL companies and brokers. With its transport management solutions for 3PLs and brokers, Trimble’s multimodal optimization engine empowers companies to handle each aspect of their supply chains.
- Routing and route optimization
- Safety and compliance
- Transportation management
- Safety tracking is especially easy
- Streamlined for dispatching
- Easy driver tracking and route planning
- Major learning curve required to enjoy full benefits
- Slow load times reported
Pricing: Schedule a demo to learn more.
ITS Dispatch by Truckstop.com
ITS Dispatch helps companies move more loads instead of pushing paper. Truckstop strives to provide customers with a practical set of tools to help them succeed in the industry. The company, which has been around since 1995, has various software solutions that address each stage of freight transportation.
- Small to mid-sized brokers
- Generates invoices with a single click
- Easy load confirmations
- Creates driver settlements
- Quickbooks integration
- Private labeling
- Detailed, automated reporting
- Unlimited number of trucks allowed on plan
- Creates and sends detailed customer agreements
- Communication features keep drivers in the loop
- Can be slow or laggy at times
- Occasional glitches
Pricing: $125 installation, $99 per month, plus an additional $5 per month per truck.
TruckSpy touts itself as an all-in-one fleet-management platform. With features specifically aimed at empowering driver compliance, safety and productivity, TruckSpy is a truck-dispatch software that keeps your drivers efficient. Packed with a drag-and-drop dispatch system, route deviation checker and an estimated time of arrival for all stops, TruckSpy can keep you at ease and your customers in the loop. The company’s long-standing relationship with FedEx makes it an easy fit for FedEx contractors.
- Full fleet management and FedEx contractors
- Drag-and-drop dispatcher that can be seen online
- Route deviation identifier
- Real-time estimated times of arrival (ETAs)
- Document scanner that attaches necessary documents to each stop
- Real-time updates of dispatch assignments with turn-by-turn navigation
- Every minute of driving is analyzed by artificial intelligence (AI) to make more efficient routes
- Electronic logging device (ELD) compliance powered by an ELD that supports all Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) exceptions
- Turn-by-turn navigation support that tracks all driver deviation
- Routes built remotely automatically show up on the driver’s tablet
- Individual vehicle mileage reports (IVMRs) are done forever when working with FedEx and using its ELDs
- No clear pricing model on the website
- All pricing seems to be a la carte, meaning no yearly discount
Pricing: $7 per month per truck; a demo must be scheduled to get true pricing.
TruckingOffice is an affordable software option for smaller trucking operations. Bigger companies say it lacks certain features that larger outfits need. TruckingOffice also has been said to be much better for paying contractors than for employees. Overall, TruckingOffice is a great trucking dispatch software system for smaller companies or companies just starting out.
- New or small trucking companies
- Accounting and invoice management
- Fleet management
- Expense reports and profits per mile
- International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) reports
- Responsive customer support
- Robust forums, online guides and a help center
- Simplifies the tax process
- Although TruckingOffice’s customer support team is responsive, requests are all handled via tickets and emails rather than live chat or over the phone
- Lacks features needed for large trucking operations
- Owner-operator: $20 per month for a fleet of no more than two trucks
- Mid-sized: $45 per month for a fleet of no more than seven trucks
- Fleet: $75 per month for a fleet of eight or more trucks
- Broker: $45 per month for unlimited dispatches
Sign up for a free trial of the software before you commit to a subscription.
Axon Software was founded in 1982, making it one of the more experienced software companies in the industry. The software features great integrations, such as PC*MILER and various mapping software.
- Fleet maintenance
- Transportation management
- Tax fuel
- Mobile app for employees
- Real-time truck location, speed and more
- Custom reports available
- Identify problem areas to improve operations
- Major learning curve
- More expensive than most other systems.
- Tax functionality is somewhat limited and challenging to use
Pricing: Schedule a demo to learn more.
Established in 2005, ProTransport is an all-in-one trucking software that includes a robust truck-dispatching system. With ProTransport’s dispatching software, managers can communicate and organize their fleet workload in real-time. Though the company is less than 20 years old, some users report that the interface looks old and could use some updates. The software integrates well with other major systems, including QuickBooks and trucker fuel cards.
- Freight brokers
- Truckload and LTL carriers
- Maintenance and safety
- GPS data
- Accounts for all transactions, including paying drivers
- Easy to use and teach to new employees
- Eliminates the need to print anything
- User-friendly interface
- Accessible customer service support
- Maintenance entries lack ability to include photos or records
- Somewhat outdated.
- Accounting function lacks ability to attach credit card statements
- Financial information can’t be managed from one place
Pricing: Schedule a demo to learn more.
Specializing in making last-mile deliveries easier, Onfleet helps you route, dispatch and analyze your company’s deliveries while communicating seamlessly with your drivers. Providing real-time updates to all of your customers via short-message service (SMS) notifications to keep them informed and up-to-date, Onfleet is a choice product for high-volume and last-mile operations.
- Last-mile delivery, especially for retail and food industries
- Automated dispatch
- SMS notifications
- Integrations with other systems
- Fleet tracking
- End-to-end route planning
- Easy onboarding process
- Driver app available for iOS or Android
- Drag-and-drop functionality
- Add and delete tasks with ease
- System may be unavailable during maintenance periods
- Somewhat limited analytics
- Limited data entry fields
- Launch: $500 per month
- Scale: $1,150 per month
- Launch and Scale plans include a 14-day trial
- Enterprise: Contact sales for custom enterprise pricing
Samsara offers dispatching software solutions and their hardware counterparts for trucking companies of all sizes and industries. The software is feature-rich but focuses on all aspects of operations and communication.
- Trucking companies providing logistics services
- Fleet maintenance
- Route planning
- Fuel management
- Delivery scheduling and management
- Trailer tracking
- Real-time vehicle diagnostics
- Excellent value
- Strong functionality
- Great customer support
- Easy to use
- Some users report bugs, but customer service is responsive
- When new updates are released, app may slow down for a few days
Pricing: Complete a company questionnaire and schedule a demo to learn more.
How does a truck-dispatch software system work?
Truck-dispatching software helps trucking companies pair drivers and their fleets with orders that need to be delivered. The technology of truck-dispatch software can help manage all aspects of the supply chain. Many systems integrate with retail software and other technology involved in the logistics industry as well.
Another amazing aspect of the software is that it can provide greater transparency for customers. They can see where their shipment is at all stages of the delivery process. It’s a major perk for customers to be able to use their mobile devices to track orders through online portals.
Dispatching the right driver reduces costs and increases driver satisfaction by minimizing confusion and preventing poor job pairing. Drivers will see clear route planning details once they accept jobs, making the process very simple.
Managing shipments through a truck-dispatching software system can also ensure that you meet all delivery timeline guarantees and maintain your company’s reputation. Depending on which software you select, you might be able to access the following services:
- Route optimization
- Dispatching based on operations logic and priorities
- Automated scheduling
- Integrations with other software systems
- Option to automate dispatch or handle it manually
- Custom workflows
- Enhanced visibility and coordination for all parties involved
- Data and analytics
Things to consider with truck-dispatching software systems
Selecting the right truck-dispatching software will help you get the most value out of it. Before you start evaluating your options, make sure you learn about the most important features to look for.
Robust operational features
From order intakes and driver assignments to customer delivery notifications, some software systems lack crucial operational management features. Make sure the system you select includes the following capabilities:
- Scheduling and dispatching
- Task management
- Time tracking
- Route deviation
The more complicated the software is, the less likely your team will be to maximize its uses and benefits. Look for a software system that is easy to navigate and integrate into your whole team with it and its uses.
Work within your niche
Select a dispatch software system that provides the most tools and functionality meeting your trucking company’s needs and niche. For example, if you focus on retail deliveries, find one that integrates with leading retail software systems and e-commerce tools.
Great customer service
Even if you select the best truck-dispatching software, you may eventually need assistance from your provider. Look for one that provides outstanding customer service and support when you have questions or issues.
Although many software companies serve specific trucking niches, make sure your software grows with you. Don’t go with an option that’s specifically tailored to small companies because you could become a large company some day. As you evaluate your options, consider how well the software can adapt to your evolving needs.
Investing in the right software for your trucking business
Truck-dispatch software is a staple for trucking businesses. It increases efficiency, improves profit margins and gives everyone extra time. This technology streamlines several components of the supply chain, but it’s important to use the right software for your business. Reflecting on these top choices, along with their pros and cons, can help you make the optimal decision for your company.
A truck dispatch coordinates truck driver routes and deliveries. They manage the movement of freight through their drivers.
Truck-dispatch software organizes and provides data and insights that help dispatchers manage their drivers’ routes and deliveries.
Truck dispatchers look through load boards to find more loads and build their networks over time.
Sign up for a FreightWaves e-newsletter to stay informed of all news and trends impacting supply chain careers and operations.