In the ever-evolving world of logistics, having the best dispatch software for trucking companies can be a game-changer for your business.
As we navigate into 2024, finding the best dispatch for trucking can enhance efficiency while propelling you toward growth and profitability. This article aims to guide you through the top trucking dispatch software on the market, and reveal how it’s revolutionizing dispatching in logistics.
And when you’re finished, check out the other articles in our ‘Truck dispatch services vs software’ hub:
- Simple guide to truck dispatching services
- Truck dispatch services vs dispatch software
- Best truck dispatch service companies
- Best dispatch software for trucking in 2024
Quicklook: Best trucking dispatch software in 2024
- Best for small- to mid-sized carriers: Truckbase TMS
- Best for brokers and 3PLs: Trimble
- Best for logistics service providers: Samsara
- Best for full fleet management and FedEx contractors: TruckSpy
- Best for large fleets: OpenRoad TMS
5 best dispatching software solutions
If you’re looking for the best truck dispatching software solutions, you’ve come to the right place. Here are our top dispatch management software picks for 2024:
Truckbase empowers small trucking companies to grow their fleets without increasing complexity. The truck scheduling software is affordably priced for smaller trucking companies looking for a simple, easy TMS to automate their back-office. Manage dispatching without any excess data entry. Automate load building and dispatch with a PDF importer, send to drivers via text, and let drivers upload BOLs directly with integrated mobile scanning. Use instant invoicing and financial reporting tools to improve cash flow. Build trust with drivers with simple driver settlements without extra hassle or data entry.
Best for: Small- to mid-sized carriers
- Automates load building and dispatch with AI-powered PDF importer
- Sends instant dispatch details to drivers via text or email
- Clear routing info in mobile-friendly driver app
- Integrated mobile scanning for BOLs
- Improves cash flow with instant invoicing
- Easy settlement generation according to load and driver without inputting any data
- Add stop pay, reimbursements, and other pay with just a few clicks
- Business growth with more drivers without increasing back-office overhead
- Dispatch without excess data entry
- Automated, instant invoicing so you never miss a payment
- More transparent settlements to build trust with company drivers and owner-operators
- No free version, but you have a 30-day money back guarantee
- Limited customizations for workflows
- Truckbase is building out a suite of integrations with other trucking software, but current integrations are more limited than more enterprise tools
- Meant for small/medium trucking companies; larger companies may need more advanced software
Pricing: Schedule a demo to learn more!
Trimble offers vehicle dispatch system software that can meet the needs of a wide variety of trucking companies, but it stands out for 3PL companies and brokers. With its transport management solutions for 3PLs and brokers, Trimble’s multimodal optimization engine empowers companies to handle each aspect of their supply chains.
Best for: Brokers and third-party logistics providers (3PLs)
- Routing and route optimization
- Safety and compliance
- Transportation management
- Safety tracking is especially easy
- Streamlined for dispatching
- Easy driver tracking and route planning
- Major learning curve required to enjoy full benefits
- Slow load times reported
Pricing: Schedule a demo to learn more
Samsara offers truck dispatch systems and their hardware counterparts for trucking companies of all sizes and industries. The software is feature-rich but focuses on all aspects of operations and communication.
Best for: Trucking companies providing logistics services
- Route planning
- Fuel management
- Delivery scheduling and management
- Fleet maintenance
- Trailer tracking
- Dash cams
- Real-time vehicle diagnostics
- Excellent value
- Strong functionality
- Great customer support
- Easy to use
- Some users report bugs, but customer service is responsive
- When new updates are released, app may slow down for a few days
Pricing: Complete a company questionnaire and schedule a demo to learn more
TruckSpy touts itself as an all-in-one fleet management platform. With features specifically aimed at empowering driver compliance, safety and productivity, TruckSpy is a fleet dispatching software solution that keeps your drivers efficient. Packed with a drag-and-drop dispatch system, route deviation checker and an estimated time of arrival for all stops, TruckSpy can keep you at ease and your customers in the loop. The company’s long-standing relationship with FedEx makes it an easy fit for FedEx contractors.
Best for: FedEx contractors
- Drag-and-drop dispatcher that can be seen online
- Route deviation identifier
- Real-time estimated times of arrival
- Document scanner that attaches necessary documents to each stop
- Real-time updates of dispatch assignments with turn-by-turn navigation
- Every minute of driving is analyzed by artificial intelligence (AI) to make more efficient routes
- Turn-by-turn navigation support that tracks all driver deviation
- Routes built remotely automatically show up on the driver’s tablet
- Individual vehicle mileage reports (IVMRs) are done forever when working with FedEx and using its ELDs
- No clear pricing model on the website
- All pricing seems to be a la carte, meaning no yearly discount
Pricing: $7 per month per truck; a demo must be scheduled
OpenRoad TMS provides a user-friendly and comprehensive dispatcher solutions for trucking management. With its cloud-based platform, OpenRoad TMS simplifies operations, offering features like load management, dispatch, accounting, safety, and more.
The OpenRoad Driver App enhances driver efficiency with one-click dispatch and quick document uploads. The system excels in areas such as IFTA reporting, fuel card integration, driver performance monitoring, safety compliance, and maintenance management.
Best for: Large fleets
- Allows users to generate invoices with just one click
- Automatically notifies drivers and stakeholders about estimated time of arrival
- Paperless bill of lading (BOL) management: eliminates the need for physical BOLs
- Comprehensive solution
- User-friendly interface
- Real-time visibility
- Cost might not be suitable for smaller companies with limited budgets
- As a cloud-based solution, stable internet connectivity is required to prevent disruptions or technical issues
Pricing: Variable pricing with a free demo
What is truck dispatch software?
Dispatching software for trucking aims to streamline the dispatching process in the trucking industry. Because it helps trucking companies manage their operations more efficiently, dispatcher software is one of the essential dispatching solutions available in the market.
The software enables effective dispatch management and is usually part of a broader dispatch fleet management system. It involves several dispatching tools designed for vehicle dispatch, scheduling, tracking, and more. These tools help in managing and organizing trucking operations, including the allocation of trucks and drivers for various transport jobs.
Different variants of this software exist, such as fleet dispatch software, transport dispatch software, and freight dispatch software. These variants focus on specific aspects of truck dispatching, including managing fleets of trucks, overseeing transportation operations, and handling freight, respectively.
Some of the best dispatch software options provide features like real-time tracking, route optimization, and automated dispatching. They may come in the form of dispatcher apps or comprehensive dispatch programs that can be used on various devices, making them highly accessible.
Finally, the choice of truck dispatch software may vary depending on the size and needs of the trucking company. For instance, the best dispatch software for small trucking companies might differ from that suitable for larger operations, as each company has unique needs and requirements.
Find the best trucking dispatch software for your needs
Choosing the best trucking dispatching software relies on identifying your specific operational needs, including features such as real-time tracking, route optimization, and load management. It’s important to consider factors like ease of use, customer support, scalability, and integration with other software for dispatching trucks. Also, reading reviews like these and seeking recommendations can help narrow down your choices.
Truck dispatchers look through load boards to find more loads and build their networks over time.
Yes. Using truck dispatch software or dispatcher apps, owner-operators can handle their own dispatching, which includes scheduling loads, planning routes, and managing administrative tasks.
Sign up for a FreightWaves e-newsletter to stay informed of all news and trends impacting supply chain careers and operations.