Field service operations are becoming increasingly reliant on mobile technology to enhance productivity and organization. With so many field service management apps now available, it can be challenging to determine which solution best fits your team’s unique needs and workflows.
This review will compare the leading field service management apps for 2024 based on critical features like mobility, scheduling, customer management, and ease of use to help you select the right platform for your field technicians.
Quicklook: Best field service management apps for 2024
- Best for advanced mobile tools: Zuper
- Best for small landscaping and cleaning services: Jobber
- Best for small HVAC and plumbing services: Housecall Pro
- Best for fleet optimization: Verizon Connect Wintacc
- Best for CRM and sales integration: Salesforce Field Service
- Best for ERP integration: Oracle NetSuite
- Best for manufacturing and healthcare: ServiceMax
7 top field service management software mobile apps
Whether you’re looking for a mobile app bundled in field service software for small businesses or need an enterprise-level solution, you’ll find a good option on this list. Here are some of the best field service technology companies on the market.
Zuper provides proprietary technology to optimize field data collection and technician productivity through automated workflows and scheduling. In particular, Zuper’s service field management software mobile app streamlines work order management, integrates with IoT devices for remote troubleshooting, enables photo/video capture, provides digital forms, and allows technicians to manage inventory and accept payments in the field. This gives field service teams real-time visibility and coordination between the office and field staff.
Best for: Advanced mobile tools
- Real-time tracking
- Automated field service scheduling
- Inventory management
- Customer portal
- Mobile app for field workers
- API integrations
- Increased efficiency
- Fewer manual errors
- Enhanced customer satisfaction
- Simplified inventory tracking
- Learning curve for new users
- Limited offline capabilities
Price: Free demo period, basic pricing starts at $40 per user annually and $60 per user monthly
Jobber’s affordable, easy-to-use solution is tailored to organizations needing small business service software apps. In particular, Jobber’s mobile app allows field technicians to view schedules, track job time and locations, communicate with the office, capture before and after photos, collect digital signatures, and access customer details right from their mobile device. This improves organization and productivity for one-person or small field service operations with limited technical needs or budgets.
Best for: Small landscaping and cleaning services
- Simple and intuitive user interface designed for easy navigation
- Offers online booking and client self-service portals
- Features like invoicing, quoting, and payment processing are integrated
- Ideal field service management software for small business
- Quick setup and easy-to-use features
- Offers CRM capabilities specific to the field service industry
- Enhances field service operations through efficient scheduling and dispatching
- May lack some of the advanced analytics and reporting features found in more robust systems
- Limited third-party integrations compared to other field service solutions
- Scalability could be an issue for larger enterprises requiring complex field service planning
Price: Basic functions are free for one user, while Core plan with more robust capabilities starts at $19 per user per month
Housecall Pro offers an affordable, user-friendly solution designed specifically for home service contractors. In particular, Housecall Pro’s mobile app enables field technicians to track their schedule, customer locations, invoice details, parts used, and payments collected all from their mobile device while on the job. This simplifies organization and coordination for individual technicians and very small service teams performing residential service calls. No list of the ‘best field service management software for small businesses’ is complete without Housecall Pro.
Best for: Small HVAC and plumbing services
- Customer management
- Online booking
- Real-time field service management software GPS tracking
- Field service scheduling and dispatching
- Invoicing and payments
- Employee time tracking
- Streamlines operations
- Improves customer experience
- Facilitates mobile payments
- Automates routine tasks
- Limited customization
- Occasional bugs reported
Price: Free 14-day trial, after which costs vary by plan and user count
Verizon Connect Wintac
Verizon Connect Wintac is tailored specifically for coordinating mobile workforces and vehicles. In particular, Wintac’s mobile app enables real-time fleet tracking, navigation, and communication between dispatch and drivers along with integrated scheduling, routing, and optimization algorithms. This maximizes efficiency for field service organizations with large dispersed fleets needing end-to-end visibility and logistics coordination on the road.
Best for: Fleet optimization
- Optimization algorithms for intelligent route planning and scheduling
- Dispatch dashboard with drag-and-drop functionality
- Mobile tech app with offline access to full database
- Real-time job monitoring with customer ETAs
- Inventory management and parts ordering
- Digital forms and signature capture
- Increased productivity and reduced costs
- Improved first-time fix rates
- Enhanced visibility into field tech performance
- Better customer service with appointment reminders and status updates
- Detailed reports for data-driven decisions
- Can be complex for smaller operations without dedicated admin staff
- Must be cloud-based for QuickBooks Online integration
Pricing: Starts at $135 per vehicle per month; volume discounts available
Salesforce Field Service
Salesforce Field Service’s mobile app is natively built into the Salesforce platform for a unified CRM and sales experience. In particular, the Field Service app leverages shared Salesforce data on customers, assets, and inventory to optimize field technician scheduling, work order management, and billing processes. This provides field teams with customer-centric visibility and coordination with sales and marketing efforts not typically found in standalone FSM solutions.
Best for: CRM and sales integration
- AI-driven scheduling and dynamic field workforce management
- Seamless integrates with Salesforce’s robust CRM, offering a comprehensive service management system
- Field reporting software capabilities
- User-friendly field service application for mobile devices
- Easily scaled, making it a fit for both small and large businesses
- Strong CRM integration enables better customer relationship management alongside field service operations
- Advanced analytics and reporting
- Can be on the expensive side, making it a less ideal choice for service management software for a small business oh a tight budget
- May offer more features than a smaller business needs, making it somewhat overwhelming
Price: Starts at $165 per user per month
Oracle NetSuite offers an integrated field management service software mobile app that enables real-time data synchronization, centralized management of field operations, and mobile accessibility for field techs. Specifically, the integration allows work orders, inventory, and customer data to seamlessly flow between the back-office ERP systems and technicians in the field working on their mobile devices. This provides the visibility and control needed to optimize the entire field service lifecycle across CRM, ERP, billing, finance, and field operations.
Best for: ERP integration
- Optimization engines for intelligent routing and scheduling
- Mobility with offline syncing capabilities
- Integrated customer history and equipment service records
- Inventory and asset management
- Signature capture and contactless payments
- Automated field technician enablement
- Increased field technician productivity
- Real-time visibility into field operations
- Streamlined work order and parts/inventory management
- Enhanced customer satisfaction through service consistency
- Improved billing accuracy and cash flow
- Steep learning curve
- Customizations can be complex
Pricing: Requires a NetSuite ERP license starting at $999/month; additional per user per month fee for FSM module usage
ServiceMax provides specialized functionality for asset and contract-centric services crucial to industries like manufacturing and healthcare in a mobile-accessible platform. In particular, it optimizes preventative and contractual maintenance of complex equipment while enabling technicians to manage parts inventory, report issues, and access repair histories from the field via their mobile device. This drives more efficient field operations, improves first-time fix rates, and maximizes uptime for critical assets across manufacturing and healthcare.
Best for: Manufacturing and healthcare
- Asset and contract management
- Maintenance scheduling optimization
- Inventory and warranty tracking
- Mobile forms for field data collection
- IoT and connected device integration
- Increased equipment uptime and availability
- Improved maintenance efficiency
- Better inventory/parts management
- Enhanced field technician productivity
- More predictive vs reactive service
- Complex implementation for large enterprises
- Heavy focus on asset/contract services
- Limited native payroll or accounting capabilities
- Requires change management for adoption
Pricing: Contact for quotes; not publicly listed
What to look for in a field service management app
When considering software for service businesses, here’s what companies should look for in a field service management app.
- Scheduling and dispatching: Automated scheduling software for service technicians, route optimization, and dispatch features ensure the right person is scheduled at the right time.
- Customer database: A unified customer database with history improves personalized service and consistency.
- Invoicing and payments: The ability to invoice, accept payments, and collect customer signatures from the field speeds up billing.
- Inventory management: Tracking parts/supplies helps anticipate needs and maintain proper stocks.
- Data syncing: Real-time sync between field tech devices and back-office software is essential.
- Reporting and analytics: Insights into field operations help continuously optimize service delivery.
- Ease of use: Intuitive apps require minimal training and encourage regular use.
- Integration: Integration with CRM, accounting, and payment platforms maximizes capabilities.
- Scalability: The app should be able to support growing teams and businesses over time.
Selecting an app with field service management software features that align with your company’s size, industry, and workflow needs is essential. Doing so enables you to realize the full benefits of field service management software.
Be sure to compare field service management software mobile apps
Any field service management software comparison should take into account mobile app features and capabilities. As field service teams look to leverage the latest mobile capabilities to maximize efficiency, having the right field service management app in place is crucial. Choosing a field service management app that keeps your technicians connected and productive ultimately translates to higher customer satisfaction and a competitive advantage.
Service management software is technology designed to help companies manage key aspects of providing services to customers including workflows, scheduling, parts/inventory, billing, mobile technicians, and more. Field service management software vendors aim to optimize efficiency and organization across service operations.
Field service CRM refers to customer relationship management systems tailored specifically for field service businesses to track customer interactions, history, assets serviced, and other data to deliver personalized service. It provides a 360-degree customer view to field teams.
While CRM focuses on compiling customer data for a comprehensive view and enhanced service, field service management deals with the logistics of managing field technicians, work order scheduling, inventory, invoicing, optimization, and mobile capabilities.
Sign up for a FreightWaves e-newsletter to stay informed of all news and trends impacting supply chain careers and operations.