Truck fleet management is rapidly modernizing as innovative software optimizes efficiency, safety, and transparency. The best fleet management companies now offer unified solutions to give managers unprecedented visibility and control over assets, drivers, fuel costs, maintenance, and more.
This article explores several leading-edge truck fleet management software systems based on the latest technologies. Find out which ones save money for customers’ trucking fleets while also streamlining their operations.
Quicklook: Most advanced truck fleet management software
- Best for overall fleet optimization: Trimble
- Best for flexibility: Rose Rocket
- Best for small- to mid-sized fleet management: Truckbase
- Best for data and analytics: Samsara
- Best for driver management features: Motive
- Best for large fleets: Verizon Connect
- Best for brokers: Trucker Tools
7 most advanced vehicle fleet management systems
The following trucking fleet management software companies are widely recognized as innovative industry leaders:
Trimble’s fleet management technology provides a comprehensive platform that integrates truck fleet maintenance, driver safety and compliance tools with tax reporting, accounting integrations, and other back-office functions. With a focus on advanced trucking fleet analytics and modeling capabilities, managers gain unprecedented visibility and control for overall optimization. Additionally, Trimble utilizes real time GPS tracking data and algorithms to ensure on-time deliveries across entire fleets of trucks. This allows managers to improve asset utilization, increase productivity, and balance workloads across their corporate fleet management programs.
Best for: Overall fleet optimization
- Fuel price tracking
- System alerts
- Positive fleet GPS tracking reviews
- Real-time vehicle tracking
- Reduce driver error with live tracking and feedback
- IFTA fuel tax data
- Driver vehicle inspection reports (DVIR)
- Fuel use reporting and analysis
- Engine status reports
- Learning curve required to enjoy full benefits
- Slow load times reported
Pricing: Schedule a demo to learn more
Rose Rocket’s platform is the ultimate solution tailored for the most unique and intricate transportation businesses. Designed to adapt to the individuality of your operations, it offers customization right from the start — allowing you to create workflows, tools, and widgets that seamlessly evolve with your changing business dynamics. The platform features include custom panels and templates, as well as order automation to streamline your business’ efficiency. Rose Rocket’s fleet manager software stands out as the choice for those seeking a fully customizable solution without the complexity, to elevate their logistics operations
Best for: Flexibility
- Historical lane data algorithms
- Dwell time reporting
- BI tools for evaluating profitable regions/customers
- Uses AI and machine learning algorithms to analyze trucking market data
- Ingests and evaluates historical carrier rate data
- Assesses trucking freight rates, volumes, equipment lanes, driver networks
- Full trucking & logistics platform suite
- Increases revenue per mile through better truck lane planning
- Reduces empty miles and backhaul costs
- Real time margin insights
- Improves lane utilization and carrier network optimization
- Requires training for full value realization
- Requires extensive fleet truck service data to ensure algorithms are trained well
Pricing: Try it for free here
Truckbase lets small trucking companies grow their fleets without increasing complexity. The software is affordably priced for smaller trucking companies looking for a simple, easy TMS to automate their back-office.
Manage dispatching without any excess data entry. Automate load building and dispatch with a PDF importer, send to drivers via text, and let drivers upload BOLs directly with integrated mobile scanning. Use instant invoicing and financial reporting tools to improve cash flow. Build trust with drivers with simple driver settlements without extra hassle or data entry.
Best for: Ease of use
- Mobile app for driver schedules and document uploads
- Customized solutions
- AI-powered load creation
- Suitable for small fleets and can scale with your growing operations
- Dedicated account manager for onboarding and support
Disadvantages: No transparent pricing
Pricing: Contact Truckbase for details
Samsara is a cloud-based fleet management tool that offers modular solutions for tracking, video-based safety, electronic logging, dispatching, and more. It provides real-time GPS tracking and dash cams with AI to monitor vehicle and driver safety. With flexible APIs, it works across mobile and desktop to give managers insights needed to reduce costs and risks for their fleet. Furthermore, Samsara’s open cloud enterprise fleet management platform integrates IoT data from trucks with analytics and apps to optimize routing, efficiency and compliance.
Best for: Data and analytics
- Maintenance tracking for fleet trucks
- Route planning
- Fuel management
- Delivery scheduling and management
- Trailer tracking
- Dash cams
- Real-time vehicle diagnostics
- Excellent value
- Strong functionality
- Great customer support
- Easy to use
- Some fleet managers report bugs, but customer service is responsive
- When new updates are released, app may slow down for a few days
Pricing: Complete a company questionnaire and schedule a demo to learn more
Motive has one of the best platforms for driver management, and is dedicated to helping the freight industry improve safety, productivity and profitability. It integrates an electronic GPS for truckers with an electronic logbook so you know where your fleet is at all times. Use the power of AI to automate driver coaching and customize in-house safety scoring. Operate your fleet trucking company more efficiently and build better communication with drivers through Motive fleet management software.
Best for: Driver management features
- AI-assisted, real-time safety warnings for drivers
- Automated driver coaching
- Virtual geofenced parameters aid in vehicle and cargo theft recovery
- Real-time GPS fleet tracking and location history records prevent unauthorized vehicle use
- Fuel monitoring
- Dashboard view for fleet tracking
- Improved safety compliance across entire fleet of trucks
- Reduced fuel usage
- Safer roads
- Decreased coaching time for safety managers
- Improved fleet trucking risk management
Disadvantages: Issues with freezing apps or getting stuck in drive mode
Pricing: Free trial; contact Motive for details
Verizon Connect combines fleet tracking, ELD compliance, safety cameras, fuel cards, and other premium transportation capabilities in one customizable interface. Its software for fleet management offers a real-time, complete view of daily large fleet operations. With features aimed to help reduce costs, increase productivity and stay on top of vehicle maintenance, it can be a one-stop solution for large fleets. Verizon’s fleet management solutions include an easy-to-use app and integrations.
Best for: Comprehensive features for large fleets
- Mobile app can be used for driver communication
- Maintenance notifications
- Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) alerts
- Syncs across multiple languages and time zones
- Custom access and security levels
- Works with custom workflow scripts
- Alerts for inefficient or unsafe driving behaviors
- Easy-to-use app
- Prefilled checklists for vehicle inspections
- Dash cam connection for added security
- Fuel consumption monitoring
Disadvantages: Lack of pricing transparency
Pricing: Contact Verizon for a customized quote
Trucker Tools TMS gives freight brokers an integrated command center for managing shipments, with its smart load-tracking platform providing complete real-time visibility and data-driven insights across all dispatch operations. By syncing predictive ETAs with real-world GPS pings from drivers via the Trucker Tools mobile app, brokers can eliminate information gaps and proactively notify customers of potential delays or exceptions. This end-to-end visibility enables brokers to deliver transparency and mitigate shipment disruptions that erode customer trust.
Best for: Freight brokers
- Real-time load tracking
- Automated load-matching
- Mobile driver apps
- Integrated smart capacity prediction
- Customizable analytics and alerts
- ELD compliance monitoring
- Increased shipment visibility
- Improved truck fleet services resource planning
- Enhanced customer service
- More efficient dispatcher operations
- Identify growth opportunities
- Scale without adding fleet management jobs
Disadvantages: Mostly truckload focus
Price: Variable pricing with a free demo
What are the most modern fleet management technologies?
Some of the most modern and advanced fleet management technologies in 2024 include:
- Assistive driving features: Emerging truck technologies like automatic emergency braking, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control and more are reducing accidents and improving safety. Some systems provide warnings when drivers get drowsy.
- Video telematics: 360-degree cameras, driver-facing cameras, and live truck video monitoring allow managers to coach drivers, prove fault after accidents, and improve high-risk driving behaviors.
- Asset diagnostics: Advanced vehicle sensors can continuously monitor engine diagnostics, cold chain compliance, tire pressure, battery health, and more. Top fleet management software features predict maintenance needs and prevent breakdowns.
- Unified platforms: Truck fleet solutions with open APIs integrate data feeds from vehicles, drivers, warehouses and other sources to give a truck fleet manager better operational visibility.
- 5G connectivity: 5G networks provide faster data speeds and lower latency for real-time fleet tracking, video streaming, and data transmission from IoT sensors. This enables advanced safety and efficiency capabilities.
By leveraging these cutting-edge fleet management software features, truck fleets can enhance safety, compliance, and asset optimization.
Step up your fleet vehicle management approach
If you follow the latest trends in fleet management, you already understand the importance of advanced technologies in remaining competitive. You can’t go wrong with any of the fleet management tools on this list, but ultimately the best fleet management software depends on your unique needs. Ask trusted peers for recommendations and read fleet management software reviews before deciding.
Vehicle fleet management software is technology that helps companies track locations, driver behaviors, fuel use, and vehicle performance. Top platforms offer routing, mapping, maintenance records, expense tracking, and compliance management via desktop and mobile.
Pricing varies widely based on the number of vehicles and specific features included. Basic GPS fleet management starts around $20 per vehicle per month, going up to over $100 per vehicle for an enterprise-level transportation management system.
Managing a truck fleet involves using a combination of on-board tracking devices and fleet management software to monitor data. Advanced routing algorithms optimize routes and capacity, and integrations enable managers to coordinate with supply chain partners.
Sign up for a FreightWaves e-newsletter to stay informed of all news and trends impacting supply chain careers and operations.