Transportation management solutions are making a name for themselves in the industry. But as only a piece of software, they might be more of a headache to manage on your own. After all, just because you purchase accounting software doesn’t mean that you know accounting. And so, just because you have a Transportation Management System (TMS) doesn’t mean you’re fully equipped to use it.
That’s where transportation management companies come in. The best transportation management companies can help guide you to ensure you’re getting all the benefits out of your TMS.
Quicklook: Best Transportation Management Companies
- Best for small- to mid-sized carriers: Truckbase
- Best for integrated TMS: GlobalTranz
- Best for customizable solutions: Trinity
- Best for worldwide network: C.H. Robinson
- Best all-in-one solutions: OpenRoad TMS (Powered by GP Transco)
- Load Logix
6 Best Transportation Management Companies
Working with the best transportation management companies can help you stay organized throughout the complex logistics and supply chain process. Here are the top five companies that you should consider.
Truckbase lets small trucking companies grow their fleets without increasing complexity. The software is affordably priced for smaller trucking companies looking for a simple, easy TMS to automate their back-office.
Manage dispatching without any excess data entry. Automate load building & dispatch with a PDF importer, send to drivers via text, and let drivers upload BOLs directly with integrated mobile scanning. Use instant invoicing and financial reporting tools to improve cash flow. Build trust with drivers with simple driver settlements without extra hassle or data entry.
Best For: Small-to Mid-Sized Carriers
- Instant Invoicing
- Unpaid Invoice Tracking
- Mobile App for Drivers: Truckbase provides a single app for driver schedules and document uploads, enhancing convenience.
- Customized solutions
- AI-Powered Load Creation
- Suitable for small fleets and can scale with your growing operations.
- Dedicated account manager for onboarding and support.
- No transparent pricing
GlobalTranz works with shippers to help maximize their productivity while streamlining their operations. They prove both e-commerce and system integrations, advanced bill payment, and relationship managing tools to help you with your managed transportation needs. Their trusted TMS system can help you increase efficiency while reducing freight costs.
Best For: Integrated TMS
- Manage shipment lifecycle with all-in-one platform
- 50,000+ carriers in network
- Real-time tracking and notifications
- Claims management
- Custom workflow management
- Flexible logistics management
- LTL eCommerce integration
- Grows with your company to scale
- Engaging customer service
- Carrier qualification process to ensure the best carriers
- No transparent pricing
At Trinity, they focus on customizable solutions that help meet each business’s unique needs. While TMS is a software that is one-size-fits-all, this transportation management company utilizes its logistics experience to customize solutions. They have hundreds of team members that work with businesses to arrange freight and work with carriers to ensure a smooth transportation process.
Best For: Customizable Solutions
- Offers Integrated or Managed TMS
- Load planning
- Tracking and notifications
- Claims management
- Freight audit and payment
- Customized solutions
- Free supply chain analysis
- Over 70,000 carriers
- Configurable system
- Personalized account support
- A few complaints in the past about rude employees
- No transparent pricing
C.H. Robinson has a global reach and extensive industry knowledge. Add in their extensive transportation network and innovative technology, they’re a great company to work alongside. They take the time to learn their customers’ challenges and goals and create systems to help them scale. Their innovative and tailored solutions are sure to help better manage freight and expenses.
Best For: Worldwide Network
- Realtime market rates
- Real-time tracking
- Purchase order management
- Reporting and analytics
- Global insights
- Real time recommendations
- Global company with extensive expertise
- Strategic partner that can quickly mobilize
- Industry-leading technology
- Large business, making it harder to retain smaller clients
- No pricing on the website
OpenRoad TMS (Powered by GP Transco)
OpenRoad TMS is a standout transportation management solution, powered by GP Transco, a leading logistics company known for its commitment to collaboration, integrity, and continuous innovation. With a strong mission to provide outstanding logistics services in a safe and efficient manner, OpenRoad TMS reflects these values in its comprehensive features and user-friendly interface.
Best For: All in One Solutions
- Load Management
- Accounting Integration
- Safety & Compliance Dashboard
- Driver Performance Monitoring
- Fleet MPG Calculation
- Maintenance Management
- Trailer and Yard Management
- Cloud-Based Document Storage
- Fuel Management
- Tolls Management
- Affordable Fuel Finder
- 1-Click Invoicing: allows users to generate invoices with just one click
- Auto-notifying Driver ETA: automatically notifies drivers and stakeholders about estimated time of arrival
- Paperless BOL Management: eliminates the need for physical bill of ladings (BOLs)
- Comprehensive Solution
- User-Friendly Interface
- Real-Time Visibility
- Cost might not be suitable for smaller companies with limited budgets.
- As a cloud-based solution, stable internet connectivity is required to prevent disruptions or technical issues.
Load Logix’s transportation management system uses machine learning algorithms to analyze data and provide real-time recommendations for load planning, dispatching, and carrier selection. By automating and optimizing these processes, Load Logix’s platform can reduce costs and increase operational efficiency for its customers.
Load Logix’s TMS integrates with other supply chain management systems, providing end-to-end visibility and control over the entire supply chain. This integration can help customers improve their planning and execution processes, reduce errors, and increase productivity.
Best For: Efficiency
- Load Tracking
- Fully Integrated Accounting
- Multi Company and Multi Location: Manage different companies and locations for billing and accounting.
- Free unlimited users at any package level
- Offers real time GPS
- Pricing as low as $29 per month
- High level of customization
- Monthly updates to software are performed to reduce bugs. Less chance of the software crashing at inopportune times
- Integrations with other software is not available in the standard package
What Is a Transportation Management Company?
A transportation management company can have many names, including acronyms like FTL, 3PL, and LTL. But one important factor that all of these different names have in common is that, by definition, transportation management companies oversee the process of freight management. These companies are third-party that offer technology and services to manage freight.
How Do Transportation Management Companies Work?
Transportation management companies help you get your cargo to its intended location. They operate and manage logistics on your company’s behalf which helps improve the efficiency of your day-to-day operations. These companies add more value than just a simple TMS, including freight invoice auditing, logistics management, after-hours scheduling, and more.
Shopping Transportation Management Companies
Finding the right managed transportation company comes down to what services you’re looking for. Each offers their own unique solutions that can help your company. Below you’ll find some things to consider when shopping for a transportation management company.
The first thing you should consider is what services are offered by the transportation management company. You’ll be looking for more than just a TMS, or else you’d have selected a SaaS company already.
Instead, expand to look at companies with the capabilities of handling your needs. Do they have ways to access more capacity, plan and optimize order management, improve the record keeping process, stay in compliance with regulations, lower spending, increase vendors, and have advanced analytics?
No matter what you’re looking for, be sure that the company you select has all the services you desire.
Dynamic Routes and Rates
A huge benefit to working with a transportation management company is that they have access to transportation resources that you might not have. Because of this, many can offer dynamic routes and rates to help you get your inventory where it needs to be on time and under budget.
Communication and Customer Service
When working with any vendor, communication and customer service should be at the forefront. Check reviews to see how their other customers have ranked their customer service. Check what hours they’re available when needs arise.
And don’t forget to check how they handle problems when they arise. Obviously, no one wants to deal with a headache when it comes to your freight, but nothing is ever perfect. How a professional and responsive transportation management company steps up in those situations will have a great impact on your business.
Having a transportation management company with a large vendor base can help you increase your vendor connections. This is a great way to build partnerships to get a competitive advantage.
Ability To Scale
Having a trusted transportation management company by your side can be a beneficial way to help you scale. It is a great way to improve your pricing power and add capacity.
Innovate with a Transportation Management Company
When you work with the best transportation management company you can easily have the best TMS software platform alongside a company that helps manage the process for you. No matter what size your business is, whether it’s national or international, there is a transportation management company that can help you cut costs and increase efficiency all at once!
A transportation management company helps you plan and optimize your freight, both incoming and outgoing. They record the movement of the entire lifecycle and help save money.
Transportation management is important because it improves logistics data, reduces freight costs, and helps keep the supply chain running smoothly.
The goal of logistics and transportation management is to transport cargo through a supply chain effectively and efficiently.
Sign up for a FreightWaves e-newsletter to stay informed of all news and trends impacting supply chain careers and operations.