Warehouse management is a complicated process. But with the right tools, you can offer your customers greater order status transparency and faster returns. Plus, you’ll be able to monitor many essential warehouse operations functions using warehouse management software. Learn the best tools available and the types of warehousing operations they are ideal for.
Quicklook: Best warehouse management software systems
- Best for pick, pack and ship services: ShipBob
- Best for warehouse inventory tracking: Oracle
- Best for retail and wholesale businesses: Infoplus
- Best for small to medium-sized warehouses: 3PL Warehouse Manager
- Best for direct-to-customer sales: Logiwa
- Best for inventory management: Acumatica Distribution Edition
- Best for automation: SAP ERP
7 best warehouse management software systems
The following software systems are some of the best warehouse management software systems on the market.
ShipBob is a full-service global fulfillment platform. You can select which services to use, including complete fulfillment support, at more than 30 warehouse locations. But you’ll still have complete control whether you outsource the entire fulfillment process or choose ShipBob as your warehouse management software provider.
Best for: Pick, pack and ship services
- Fulfillment network
- Inventory management
- E-commerce platform integration
- Distributed inventory
- Two-day express shipping program
- Order management
- Integration with other systems via application programming interfaces (APIs)
- Responsive to customers
- Tools for shippers to lower costs
- Affordable fulfillment pricing
- Well-built software makes managing orders simple
- Customers note the need for ongoing technology upgrades for options like bulk orders
- No single point of contact, just general contact information
- Some customers experience lags in software updating inventory and order data
Pricing: Prices vary based on how much you store and ship. Roughly, storage costs are $5 per bin, $10 per shelf and $40 per pallet. Fulfillment costs start at $5.66 per month.
Oracle’s Warehouse Management Cloud allows companies to easily track shipments across the supply chain and automate processes for improved efficiency. The software is a module in a complete enterprise resource planning (ERP) platform, which means it can be used as a standalone solution or combined with other modules for a robust, integrated toolset that helps you run a lean operation.
- Warehouse inventory tracking
- Useful for companies in a variety of industries including retail, e-commerce, wholesale distribution, consumer goods and manufacturing
- Offers an up-to-date view of inventory and supports both business-to-business and direct-to-consumer needs
- Manages complex fulfillment processes and automate warehouse operations to improve efficiency
- Intelligent dashboard
- Real-time inventory data
- Automated sales order fulfillment
- Accessible on mobile devices
- Does not integrate with QuickBooks or Xero accounting software
- Cannot be used with a macOS
- Limited customization options
- More expensive than other options
Pricing: Contact the company for details.
Infoplus helps companies manage inventory, shipments and warehouse operations for e-commerce, wholesale and third-party logistics companies. Create unique workflows for your lines of business using one convenient system. And choose between iOS and Android devices for line processes. Use the software in its web-based, cloud or software-as-a-service (SaaS) platform.
- Retail and wholesale businesses
- Brands with 2-500 users
- End-to-end inventory management
- Barcode and radio-frequency identification (RFID) capabilities
- Real-time updates and robust reporting
- Inventory monitoring and fulfillment tracking operations
- Machine-learning technology for process automation
- Robust features
- Shipping and return management
- Barcode and RFID capabilities
- Does not have built-in invoicing functionality
- Difficult to fix errors
- Requires developer for customization
Pricing: Prices start at $795 per month.
3PL Warehouse Manager
Enjoy a modern interface designed by warehouse management experts. This software helps improve the efficiency of 3PL warehouses with simple integration tools, inventory management, order tracking and customer billing.
- Small- to medium-sized warehouses
- Manages all aspects of third-party warehouses
- Easily integrates with inventory management systems
- Uses barcodes and mobile scanning for inventory accuracy
- Manages inventory and orders from anywhere
- Easy-to-use software
- Regular software upgrades for state-of-the-art functionality
- Online customer access
- Automated customer notifications
- Poor customer support
- May not integrate easily with other databases
- Challenging billing functions
Pricing: Contact directly for rates.
Logiwa Cloud WMS Software offers WMS and order fulfillment for both business-to-customer and business-to-business warehouses. You’ll find integrations with many popular software options, including accounting tools. The mobile application helps warehouse managers view information from anywhere.
- High-volume businesses
- E-commerce, wholesale and 3PL fulfillment centers
- Companies that sell to retail customers
- Access via the web or mobile apps
- Connect multiple online stores to run from one digital warehouse
- Digital warehousing
- Automated picking workflows
- Client portal
- Return processing
- Good customer support
- Easily integrated with other digital tools
- Pairs well with online shopping carts
- Less functionality than larger WMS platforms
- Unintuitive user interface
Pricing: Contact directly for an estimate.
Acumatica Distribution Edition
Acumatica Distribution Management Software offers tools for managing warehouse operations, inventory management and online orders. You’ll find great features, including sales management, purchases and requisitions. Use barcode scanning for outstanding inventory management and clarity.
- Small to medium-sized companies
- Businesses that expect to grow rapidly
- Distribution Edition handles all aspects of inventory management
- Integrates with its customer relationship management (CRM), project accounting and field service modules
- Mobile-friendly and accessible via the cloud, on the web or from a desktop
- Robust customer support and training
- Easy to access
- Customizable dashboard
- Excellent reporting features
- Simple, clear navigation
- Email communications use system addresses, which may be different from user email addresses
- May require customization
- Dashboard queries are harder to navigate than most systems
Pricing: Contact sales.
SAP Cloud ERP offers full enterprise resource planning software with warehouse management functions. Users find the tool flexible to make even complex warehouse processes simple. SAP ERP connects with 3PLs and improves warehouse automation. The software offers warehouse management modules for project management, billing and payroll management.
- Companies of any size
- Brands that want to combine operational processes into one system
- Many modules, including accounting, inventory, asset tracking, warehousing and supply chain management
- Real-time reporting
- Access from a mobile device or desktop
- Full integration across multiple business functions
- Easy-to-manage data
- Extensive learning curve
- Difficult to make changes
Pricing: Pricing varies based on needs.
How does warehouse management software work?
WMS platforms help optimize inventory management and warehouse operations. Tools may enable users to view orders, process returns, automate put-away and pick-and-pack processes, manage shipping and more. You can purchase warehouse management software as part of an ERP suite or as a standalone tool. Consider a system with support for barcodes or RFID to improve inventory management and reporting.
The best software options optimize the entire supply chain process and offer customers greater insight into order statuses. You can reduce errors and fulfill orders faster for happier, more loyal customers.
How warehouse management software can improve your business operations
Using software can streamline day-to-day warehouse operations. Consider the following in your decision.
The best warehouse management systems offer real-time inventory tracking. This feature supplies valuable information about the age, serial numbers and location of inventory in the warehouse. For inventory with an expiration date, tracking becomes a valuable tool that helps minimize losses.
Maintaining stock balance
Ensure you have adequate inventory to fulfill new orders using stock balance. When inventory on the shelves is getting low, get alerts to prioritize restocking those products over others to maintain smooth operations. Timely responses to inventory changes can make your operations more cost-effective and improve customer relationships thanks to faster order fulfillment.
Reporting and analytics offer managers insights into performance. You might find that you have obsolete inventory taking up space on your shelves. Or you might discover that your stock turnover is poor in a certain product line. Get a clear view of restocking expenses and streamlining opportunities.
Better stock forecasting can help businesses prepare for upcoming needs and react quickly to avoid costly overtime expenses and inventory shortages. If your products take months to manufacture and ship, you’ll find forecasting especially helpful because it can help prevent stocking problems that can lower profits. Get ahead of inventory needs with a clear view of what you’ll need for six to 12 months.
Shipping is complex and includes handling bills of lading, packing lists, invoices and receipts. Software can automatically send these notices to shippers and customers to reduce busy work and improve communications.
Run a lean operation, delight customers and avoid out-of-stock products
Manage your warehouse and fulfillment services with ease using warehouse management software. Streamline operations, give staff members digital tools that make their jobs easier and reduce unnecessary expenses with efficient inventory management. The right system can create greater transparency around fulfillment processes, ultimately improving customer satisfaction.
Sign up for a FreightWaves e-newsletter subscription to stay informed of developments in supply chain management, including warehousing news and innovation.
Warehouse management includes the day-to-day operations associated with inventory, labor, shipping, returns and other order-fulfillment activities.
Warehouse management software provides inventory and supply chain visibility to help companies run smooth operations. Use the software to automate processes and view reports that aid in forecasting inventory.
Amazon partners with Naveo Connected Commerce and Vin eRetail as AWS Partners for warehouse management.