The best bulk load boards provide a steady stream of work for drivers and a practical solution for shippers looking to move large quantities of bulk goods. Bulk load boards cover the continental U.S., with some extending throughout North America. Some promise to help you find a load within minutes whether you’re a shipper or a carrier. Bulk loading moves entire industries, with products like grains, minerals, ore, oils and gas regularly shipped as bulk loads. Read on for the best bulk load boards.
Quicklook: Best Bulk Load Boards
- Best for Variety of Freight Loads: Truckstop
- Best for Dedicated Bulk Load Boards: DAT Freight & Analytics
- Best for Community Support: Bulkloads
- Best for Sustainable Shipping: Convoy
- Best for Free Load Boards: Direct Freight Services
5 Best Bulk Load Board Options
The best bulk load boards provide a variety of services for all types of bulk commodities for both shippers and carriers. Below are five boards to find freight loads that offer variety, sustainability and free options.
Truckstop is one of the leading load boards that offers better loads and faster pay for truckers. It goes beyond traditional load booking to offer better-negotiated rates, paperwork management and instant load bookings.
Location: New Plymouth, Idaho, with operations throughout the U.S.
- Load boards
- Transportation management system (TMS) analysis
- Rate analysis
- Over 100,000 live active loads
- Exceptional data
- A wide range of verified brokers
- Broker information, including credit ratings, pay history and stamps of approval
- Carrier monitoring
- Rate insights
- Rate analysis
- Market insights
- Integrated app
- You can only access multi trips with the higher subscription.
Pricing: $39 to $149 a month.
DAT Freight & Analytics
DAT Freight & Analytics offers freight and analytics services, including bulk load boards. It is the largest load-board network in the industry. It is a regular supplier of bulk loads with the best rates on bulk loads. DAT is regularly the first choice for carriers of all sizes. It is a fast freight finder that offers a unique tool to help find higher-paying routes.
Location: Denver with operations throughout the U.S.
- Live load boards
- Unlimited search and post
- Mobile app
- Mileage and routing information
- Broker credit information
- Average lane rates
- Call to post and search
- Find companies most active on your routes and lanes
- DAT One mobile combines 15 apps into one fast and easy set of tools to find and book loads, plan and optimize trips and get paid in as little as 24 hours.
- Find the largest sources of capacity
- Find carriers on the most important lanes for your business
- Dedicated bulk boards
- Many premium services require a higher fee subscription.
Pricing: $45 to $295 a month
Bulkloads is a load-matching, payment and technology solution for freight loads that serves the bulk trucking industry. With thousands of brokers, shippers and bulk freight truckers using the boards daily, Bulkloads has become a trusted resource for loads, insurance and classified ads.
Location: Springfield, Missouri, with operations throughout the U.S.
- Over 36,750 loads available
- Grain, aggregate and liquid loads
- Load matching for bulk trucking
- Payment solutions for bulk trucking
- Technology solutions for bulk trucking
- Community-driven load boards
- Integrated app
- Daily load email
- $13.1 billion worth of commodities moved in 2022
- A network of thousands of bulk freight truckers, shippers and brokers
- Smaller network than the others on the list
- Mostly covers the Midwest
Pricing: Free but some premium features may have additional fees
Convoy is a large shipping network that focuses on moving freight more efficiently while eliminating carbon waste and improving carriers’ lives. It has saved over 9.5 million pounds of carbon emissions while also providing some of the best bulk shipping solutions. It regularly transports freight loads for leading companies nationwide while offering flexible shipping solutions and uncompromised quality.
Location: Seattle with operations throughout the U.S.
- Flexible bulk shipping solutions
- Full truckload
- Brokerage and fleet management
- Payment and account management
- Automated reloads
- Integrated mobile app
- Sustainable shipping options
- Over 400,000 trucks
- Truck matching for your loads within minutes
- Industry-specific full truckload capacity
- 24/7 load visibility
- No pickup or deliveries at farms or ports
- No hazardous materials shipments available
Pricing: Free; contact Convoy for custom pricing on loads or additional services
Direct Freight Services
Direct Freight Services is one of the largest free load boards out there. Although there are smaller dedicated bulk load boards, Direct Freight made the list for the volume of freight loads. Find a load or shipper whenever you need it.
Location: New Jersey with operations throughout the U.S.
- Load and truck searching and posting
- Routing suggestions
- Deadhead miles and trip miles
- Routing suggestions
- Improved route suggestions
- Load filtering
- Insurance information
- Alert scheduling
- Large free load board
- Text alerts
- Days to pay for most loads
- Track booked and pending loads
- Lacks some custom features other options provide
- Some specialized features require a paid account
Pricing: Free or $34.95 per month for a paid account with premium features
What is a Bulk Load Board?
A bulk load board is a digital bulletin board where shippers and brokers can connect to facilitate the transportation of goods. A bulk load board focuses on bulk commodities and transportation of full loads or large orders.
What is Considered Bulk Cargo?
Bulk cargo is shipped loose and unpacked but in large quantities. Bulk cargo is usually transported directly in a tanker truck, railway car or the hold of a ship. While bulk cargo can be either dry or liquid, one of the most common bulk commodities for transportation is grains for animal feed. Oil, coal, minerals, ores and gasses are also all commonly shipped as bulk cargo.
Summary of Best Bulk Load Boards
Bulk load boards can be a practical solution to moving a large volume of goods quickly and inexpensively. For carriers with the right equipment, bulk loads may offer more steady jobs, better hours and sometimes better pay. If you need a premium service, the load boards above can connect you with reliable shippers and provide detailed backgrounds and credit checks so you know your load is in good hands.
The largest bulk carrier, Capesize, is a ship that can carry 110,000 tons. The maximum weight for a commercial truck usually limits each axle to 34,000 pounds.
A dry bulk trailer carries dry bulk goods like grains, cement, flour, minerals or plastic pellets.
Yes, there are many free load boards. You can find a few excellent load boards with free services above.